QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd

QUO Courier and Logistics Ltd
Moving you forward...

Thursday 17 April 2014

“I Read Law To Satisfy My Parents” – Singer, Omawunmi Reveal Pains Of Motherhood, Music Career, Childhood Dreams & More

Singer, songwriter, actress, and multiple brand ambassador, Omawumi who rose to prominence as a contestant on Idols West Africa. She released her debut single “In the music”, and since then her career has been on a steady rise. Her debut album, “The Lasso of Truth” was a huge commercial success.  In this interview with ThisDay Live, Omawunmi  opens up on music, motherhood and more!

Music has always been my dream…
While growing up, music has always been my dream. But then, when I was still in school, I never saw it as a means of livelihood. Back then, music was not one of the career choices you could tell your parents because parents believed more in professional white collar jobs, and that was why I studied law.

Am happy with my debut album…
Really, I am quite happy with my last album “Lasso of Truth”. I am happy with the attention I am getting from it. I have a very strong fan base and really, I am enjoying every bit of the attention I am getting. Right now, I am moving on to the next level. I am trying to put my money where my mouth is. I’m making a live album soon, because I can’t keep saying I perform live and I don’t have a live album.

Lowest moment in life….
I’m generally a happy person and it’s very difficult for me to get to that point where I am very down, because most times I even feed off other people’s energy. So, I am a happy person. I make people happy and that’s what gives me the happy and content vibe that I have. It’s hard to find me on a low. The lowest point you can find me is when I am disappointed about people’s opinion regarding me. But it doesn’t really bother me to the extent where I need to correct the opinion especially if it’s not true.

My involvement with Agriculture and One.org
Well, I’m an artiste and by virtue of that, I stand as a spokesperson for the people through one of the most important tools which is music, and the organsers ‘one.org’ needed artistes that can appeal to the middle class and grassroots to encourage farming and all that it entails. And then, looking inwards into Nigeria, I must commend the Ministry of Agriculture, because a lot of people are not aware and in tune with the massive industry and economic value that agriculture brings to the country. But personally, I am aware because I’m a small time farmer, I have an acre of land in Warri where I produce crops and livestock and the growth is really impressive, because we make money off agriculture. So, now it’s my job to make people see farming as a cool job and a possible career path for the youth and make the government see a clearer picture as well.
Joggling motherhood, music and agriculture…
It’s a way of life for me. I just see it as what I need to do, and most times it doesn’t even feel like am doing anything. For instance, I do a lot more than these things you mentioned. I just started my own NGO called “Omawonder’s Little House of No Regrets” which empowers women and young girls.

My daughter is not missing out on anything….

I always told myself that when I start having kids, I’ll quit music and become a teacher. But it’s not happening, so the thing about it is that I am blessed with a large family because you can’t do it all alone. I have 13 siblings. So, everybody is involved in grooming my child and she’s not missing out on anything, because I always make sure I attend to her school work. I bath her and take her to school myself. It’s not stressful at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment